This blog will follow the ultimate in home improvement: demolish and rebuild!
This is our starting point: a 1930s bungalow. While not a bad house; it is too small for us with three teenage children so what should we do? A full storey extension versus complete rebuild - ultimately the stronger eco-credentials and more certain finances of a new-build helped to guide our choice.
For a number of years we've been trying to find the right route for us to build an eco-friendly, low energy home. We tried various architects and building companies and have eventually settled with a German prefabricated build. The new house will be nearly to passivhaus standards (but not quite due to budget constraints). In any case, the house will be heavily insulated and airtight.
As a family, we have not built a house before so everything is new and exciting but the risk of making a mess of things is quite high!
This blog aims to outline the day to day steps involved in our build.
Thursday, 17 June 2010
First fix ventilation day 2
Today it was the turn of the ventilation people to work hard. The plastic ducts looked like a large trainset. The theory is that with the whole house ventilation the fresh air, taken in from a duct in the garage to the outside, is warmed up by the heat of the warm stale air as it is pumped out. This is done in a heat exchanger unit in the garage. The warm air from the bathrooms for example, is extracted and the heat used to warm the fresh air that is pumped into the sitting room, the bedrooms and the study. Here Josh is fixing the fresh air supply to two of the bedrooms and downstairs (through the floor) to the sittingroom ceiling.
Here Adam is organising the connection of the flexible ducting to the rigid ducts that will be hidden under the screed. This is what the ducts looked like when he'd finished.
Here are the fresh air ducts for the two bedrooms, facing either way in the internal wall. Unfortunately, when Adam and Josh had nearly finished the job they realised that they were running low on materials, so they will be back to finish off.
Meanwhile other mysterious house elves are working hard on the plasterboarding and covering joints and uneven parts of the wall. I managed to catch this shot of one of them, but you have to be quick because if you blink then you'll miss them!
The house elves managed to make a start with the plasterboarding downstairs as well. They also filled in the voids around the ducts with ready-mixed concrete.
The insulation for the floor was delivered at the end of the day, the problem is that there is nowhere to put anything now because every floor will need to be insulated ready for screeding next week. Ebi's now empty trailer came in handy.
The day ended with the electricians working frantically to meet their deadline. Here is Josh working at top speed to get the wiring completed.The day ends, one day closer to screeding time. The pressure is on.