Wednesday, 24 November 2010
Then Phil arrives with a little digger and helps to dig a small wildlife pond (to keep the resident frogs happy).
Another day and Project 'Move Summerhouse' starts. It was a battle with the roof but with the help of teenage son and husband power they manage to dissect the summerhouse. It was quite some achievement given the amount of insulation, plywood lining, not to mention the large amount of building materials and general crud, that was inside it.
Here the men discuss Project Summerhouse and wonder who is going to be the first to admit that their backs are hurting.
Miraculously, by the end of the day they have achieved the impossible, Project Summerhouse, albeit with temporary tarpaulin roof, has been completed! Good job!
A few days later and I spot a familiar sight ...there's no point hiding behind the trees, we can all see you Phil!
So Phil finishes up levelling out the ground at the back so it is now suitable for my veggie patch (one day). Now the back garden will no longer see the likes of a digger, any other work will have to be by hand.
So the saga of the garden continues, as usual battling the elements as Autumn turns to Winter. At last, all effort can be concentrated on the front garden and maybe one day we'll get rid of that heras fencing...
Saturday, 18 September 2010
Thursday, 9 September 2010
Now we are happy in our new home.
The last two weeks since we moved in weren't without incident.
The move itself was great, only one wine glass was broken. The house has still got lots of boxes in strange places as we've been too busy to unpack as much as we'd hoped.
We also need to have a big tidy up as we've carted a lot of things around with us that we didn't need in our various recent moves. This time I'm going to get rid of it but the best bit is- we're not moving again so I can take as long as I need.
Here you can see the corridor and the sitting room behind it, viewed from the hall.
Monday, 30 August 2010
Sorry to disappoint readers but we still don't have internet connection or telephone links. Our mobiles only work when you stand next to the windows because the insulation in the walls is so good! I will be back up and running soon. The good news is that the house is still fab and we are slowly rediscovering some order amongst the chaos of moving. Tomorrow the glass will arrive for the splashbacks.
Wednesday, 25 August 2010
Due to an unfortunate delay in establishing connections with the outside world, I've been off-line since our move into the new house. I will give you all a better update when internet connection can be re-established! Meanwhile, the house is fab, everything I expected and more even though it's covered in boxes!
Saturday, 21 August 2010
Unfortunately, the stove installer had a less successful day as the fresh air duct was an unusual diameter and he didn't have a drill the correct size. The stove itself looks fab, I can't wait to see it in action.
The end of the day saw the plumbing finished, except for the washing machine, we'll see the electricians again soon but by then the house may be our home as we are already waist deep in cardboard boxes.
The end is in sight. I hope soon to see the desert in front of the house disappear, although it may not be in time for the removal van.
Thursday, 19 August 2010
A day of plumbing....Sam and Bob arrived to do the little jobs that remain, including the sinks. Here is the new shiny filter tap all ready for action, just waiting for the mains water.
The perplexing problem of the rainwater harvesting tank had us all confused. Here Bob and Justin are considering all the options. Fortunately, after contacting the manufacturer, the solution was found and rainwater was pumped into the system.
It's not often we'd want to photograph a loo but this was the moment when the rain water flowed into cisterns for the first time! Hooray!