Welcome to our blog.

This blog will follow the ultimate in home improvement: demolish and rebuild!

This is our starting point: a 1930s bungalow. While not a bad house; it is too small for us with three teenage children so what should we do? A full storey extension versus complete rebuild - ultimately the stronger eco-credentials and more certain finances of a new-build helped to guide our choice.

For a number of years we've been trying to find the right route for us to build an eco-friendly, low energy home. We tried various architects and building companies and have eventually settled with a German prefabricated build. The new house will be nearly to passivhaus standards (but not quite due to budget constraints). In any case, the house will be heavily insulated and airtight.

As a family, we have not built a house before so everything is new and exciting but the risk of making a mess of things is quite high!

This blog aims to outline the day to day steps involved in our build.

Friday, 6 August 2010

kitchen and bathrooms

Finally, it's possible to see the garage floor paint job. This is first thing in the morning before Brian started on the second coat. Brian had to wait a bit until the electricians had finished filling around some sockets.

The safety flooring was laid today by Steve, it went on smoothly over the levelling compound from yesterday.
Here you can see the flooring in detail; a speckled mixture of blues. This safety flooring is recyclable.

Ebi has had another busy day today. Apart from fixing the door frames, he has been busy...
....setting out the kitchen, and attaching the cupboards together ready for installation. We had some discussions about whether or not to put some wood on the sides of the units; either bamboo or beech worktop. In the end we have decided to leave them painted white; for now anyway.

Unfortunately, we had to move the fused spur for the extractor fan to ensure that the cabling is hidden a bit more. Josh has been very patient with the changes that have been involved and even done the hoovering! He and Matt spent most of the day attaching socket covers and attaching lights.
The worktops were then added, although it may mean moving some more sockets, were are keen to have the hob central over the cooker cupboard.
Everything is ready, now the kitchen sink is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment